|Name of the country/area||Fiji|
|Formal name of the country/area||Republic of the Fiji Islands|
|Country/area information||The World Factbook (CIA)|
Indigenous signs for "Fiji"
Illustrations in the literature
"Fiji" (In: Japanese Federation of the Deaf ed. Supervisor: Hedberg, Tomas. 2003. Country name-signs. Helsinki, Finland: World Federation of the Deaf. 19.)
Population of Deaf/deaf people
Legal status of sign languages
Organizations and associations of the Deaf/deaf
Institutes, associations and universities for sign language studies
Education for the Deaf
Sign language interpretation
- Asia Pacific region survey from WASLI. 2007. WASLI Newsletter 2007 Issue 6. (See Bibliography below).
1.The number of sign language interpreters that are working:
3. Spoken languages:
- English, Fijian, Hindu and other paciﬁc island languages
4. This country has some Interpreter training programmes.
5. The rates for using a sign language interpreter(given in US Dollars according the exchange rate 13/9/06):
- Per Hour : 2.9
- Deaf People : No charge
- NGO’s : 11.60 per day
- Companies or Businesses : 29.00 per day
- Other : N/A
Deaf communities and cultures
Religious activities by the Deaf
Famous Deaf persons and hearing persons concerned with sign languages
Sign language dictionaries
Cabbage, Don and John Peterson. 2002?. Fiji Sign Language, volume I, II El Paso, Texas: International Communication Publishers.
WASLI (World Association of Sign Language Interpreters ). 2007. WASLI Newsletter 2007 Issue 6 Kampala, Uganda.
History of sign language research
|Oceania (general)||Oceania (general)|
|Polynesia||Kiribati | New Zealand | Samoa | Tonga | Tuvalu|
|Micronesia||Federated States of Micronesia | Marshall Islands | Nauru | Palau|
|Melanesia||Fiji | Papua New Guinea | Solomon Islands | Vanuatu|
|Areas and others|